Rock the Classroom:Classroom Management & Behavior Strategies for Special Education
Rules, discipline, consequences...oh my! Managing today’s Special Education classroom can be intimidating. Whether online or in-person, connecting with our students begins with understanding them. In this course, participants gather a deeper insight into the behavior of students with special education needs/disabilities (or SEN/D) and learn how best to positively manage it. You’ll build the foundation for a successful classroom management strategy with tools like social and emotional learning, behavior principles, and student-led learning. You won’t just learn what works, you’ll learn WHY it works. Whether you’re a veteran educator in search of new ideas or brand new to the SpEd classroom, we’re confident you’ll find this course a treasure trove of ideas full of game-changing information that will have you declaring, “I’m ROCKing this Classroom!”
This course is 6 hours credit and we recommend it for the 6 hours GT maintenance credit; however, you do not need to be GT certified (or event teach GT students) to learn and benefit from this course.
- Understand the unique attributes of students with special education needs and/or disabilities (SEN/D).
- Learn the science behind student behavior and reflect on our own perceptions of behavior and classroom management.
- Explore the various effects of classroom management on all components of our classrooms.
- Make connections between classroom success and Social-Emotional Learning (SEL).
Trading Spaces: The Power of Student-Led Learning
- Evaluate the meaning, importance, purpose, and effects of student-led learning in special education.
- Innovate with classroom rules, expectations, and conduct from a student-led approach.
- Review student-led learning opportunities in action.
- Understand the function and benefits of a student democracy for students with SEN/D.
Flip or Flop: Achieving Successful Implementation
- Apply practical classroom management techniques to special education functions.
- Explore how to successfully manage expectations, instructions, and consequences in a special education classroom.
- Review best practices for caregiver and staff interaction.
- Identify ways to build relationships with students with SEN/D.
Dream Classroom: Maximize Your Value
- Explore our favorite special education classroom management techniques.
- Discover tips and tricks to creating a student-led space with your students.
- Connect and network with other special education educators.
- Utilize wait time to increase students with SEN/D engagement.
- Set our virtual classrooms up for success.
Meet the Expert
Jacqueline Glazner, M.S.
Meet the Designers
Allison Yeager, M.Ed.
Alicia Swedberg, M.Ed.
Start immediately and work at your own pace.
Interested in bulk enrollment for your school, district, or organization?
- Join through a site with which you already have an account (Facebook, LinkedIn, Google). This is also referred to as a "single sign-on," or SSO.
- Join by creating an account. Enter the required information and create a password. Then, click “Enroll in friEdOnline” and you're in!
If you used the SSO option (Google button and Google sign-in) to create your friEdOnline account, your login information is not stored in friEdOnline and you will NOT be able to use the “Forgot your password?” function. You will need to try logging in with the Google button.
If you have tried both options, you can email us at [email protected].
Note: if you're changing your email due to the email account being inactive, you can still use the email to log in. However, you'll need to provide an updated email address in order to receive important course links and completion certificates.
2. Make sure you're on the correct course page and use the link in the provided directions. The provided link will automatically apply the promo code.
3. Make sure your total owed is $0.
- Restart your computer. (Simple, we know. But this little step can be an overlooked quick-fix!)
- Clear the cache and cookies in your Chrome browser.
- Turn off your extensions or pop-up blockers.
- If you're using your school-managed G Suite account, contact your district technology staff to ensure no content/ad/pop-up blockers have been installed by your district.
- Make sure Chrome is updated. If you're using another browser, check for updates.
- Try another browser.
- Check your internet connection and strengthen it if possible.
- Try a different device (remember, we suggest monitors over smartphones!).
If you get stuck, you can email us at [email protected]. We'll do our best to respond within 24 hours, Monday through Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST.
- on-demand (completed at your own pace...we love PD in PJs!)
- interactive (you’ll be completing engaging tasks as you move through the course)
- comprehensive (a full range of topic info and approaches are provided)
- asynchronous (not live) learning experiences that you complete when and where you want. You will receive 1-12 hours credit for completing the courses.
If you don't receive the email please check your junk mail. If you have double checked each step, and still don’t get your code, please email us at [email protected].