Rock the Classroom:Classroom Management & Behavior Strategies for English Learners
Rules, discipline, consequences...oh my! Managing today’s English Language Learner (ELL) classroom can be intimidating. Whether online or in-person, connecting with ELL students begins with understanding them. In this course, participants gather a deeper insight into student behavior and learn how best to positively manage it. You’ll build the foundation for a successful classroom management strategy with tools like social and emotional learning, behavior principles, and student-led learning for language learners. You won’t just learn what works, you’ll know WHY it works. Whether you’re a veteran ELL educator in search of new ideas or brand new to the ELL classroom, we’re confident you’ll find this course a treasure trove of ideas full of game-changing information that will have you declaring, “I’m ROCKing this ELL Classroom!”
This course is 6 hours credit and we recommend it for the 6 hours GT maintenance credit; however, you do not need to be GT certified (or event teach GT students) to learn and benefit from this course.
Good Bones: Laying the Foundation
- Explore the tenets of English Language Learning.
- Understand the various effects of classroom management on all components of our ELL classrooms.
- Make connections between ELL classroom success and Social-Emotional Learning (SEL).
- Explore the science behind student behavior.
- Reflect on our own perceptions of behavior and classroom management.
Trading Spaces: The Power of Student-Led Learning
- Evaluate the meaning, purpose, and effects of student-led learning methods with ELL students.
- Innovate with classroom rules, expectations, and conduct from a student-led approach.
- Review ELL student-led learning opportunities in action.
- Understand the function and benefits of a student “democracy” with English Language Learners.
Flip or Flop: Achieving Successful Implementation
- Apply practical classroom management techniques to everyday ELL functions.
- Explore how to successfully manage expectations, instructions, and consequences of ELL students.
- Review best practices for interaction with caregivers of ELL students.
- Evaluate the utilization of other staff in your classroom management of ELL students.
- Identify ways to build relationships with ELL students.
Dream Classroom: Maximize Your Value
- Explore our favorite classroom management techniques.
- Discover tips and tricks to creating a student-led space with your ELL students.
- Connect and network with other language acquisition educators.
- Utilize wait time to increase ELL student engagement.
- Set our virtual classrooms up for success.
Meet the Expert
Jacqueline Glazner, M.S.
Meet the Designers
Allison Yeager, M.Ed.
Alicia Swedberg, M.Ed.
Start immediately and work at your own pace.
Interested in bulk enrollment for your school, district, or organization?
- Join through a site with which you already have an account (Facebook, LinkedIn, Google). This is also referred to as a "single sign-on," or SSO.
- Join by creating an account. Enter the required information and create a password. Then, click “Enroll in friEdOnline” and you're in!
If you used the SSO option (Google button and Google sign-in) to create your friEdOnline account, your login information is not stored in friEdOnline and you will NOT be able to use the “Forgot your password?” function. You will need to try logging in with the Google button.
If you have tried both options, you can email us at [email protected].
Note: if you're changing your email due to the email account being inactive, you can still use the email to log in. However, you'll need to provide an updated email address in order to receive important course links and completion certificates.
2. Make sure you're on the correct course page and use the link in the provided directions. The provided link will automatically apply the promo code.
3. Make sure your total owed is $0.
- Restart your computer. (Simple, we know. But this little step can be an overlooked quick-fix!)
- Clear the cache and cookies in your Chrome browser.
- Turn off your extensions or pop-up blockers.
- If you're using your school-managed G Suite account, contact your district technology staff to ensure no content/ad/pop-up blockers have been installed by your district.
- Make sure Chrome is updated. If you're using another browser, check for updates.
- Try another browser.
- Check your internet connection and strengthen it if possible.
- Try a different device (remember, we suggest monitors over smartphones!).
If you get stuck, you can email us at [email protected]. We'll do our best to respond within 24 hours, Monday through Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST.
- on-demand (completed at your own pace...we love PD in PJs!)
- interactive (you’ll be completing engaging tasks as you move through the course)
- comprehensive (a full range of topic info and approaches are provided)
- asynchronous (not live) learning experiences that you complete when and where you want. You will receive 1-12 hours credit for completing the courses.
If you don't receive the email please check your junk mail. If you have double checked each step, and still don’t get your code, please email us at [email protected].