Beyond the Brick and Mortar: Designing Effective Learning Experiences
In the age of digital teaching, there are many questions. How do I engage students while meeting their individual needs? How do I hold them accountable and keep a personal connection? Beyond the Brick and Mortar takes teachers on a learning path with one goal: answer the common questions about how to move beyond the traditional learning environment and into a digital, blended space that addresses the needs of all student learners. Learners will experience several different approaches and tools including Digital Interactive Notebooks, choice boards, and interactive student work products as well as walk away with templates and examples they can use to create their own lessons. You might take this course because you have to, but then you will realize it completely changes the way you teach in the future.
This course earns 12 credit hours and we recommend this course to satisfy up to 6-hrs of G/T maintenance hours. You will have access to the course for 10 months from the date of purchase.
100% Online & Flexible
Total Time: 12 Hours
Question 1: Where do I HOUSE the learning?
- Review the benefits and differences between online learning platforms (Google Classroom, Schoology, Canvas)
- Understand how to use Google Sites as a virtual classroom.
- Explore Digital Citizenship resources
Question 2: How do I ENGAGE my students online?
- Explore engagement strategies for online learning
- Understand how to create Hyperdocs/Hyperslides
- Understand how to create and use interactive notebooks
- Review online engagement tools
Question 3: How do I meet individual learners’ needs?
- Understand the importance of differentiating
- Review Independent Display of Learning (IDL) Explore Choice Boards, Differentiated Playlists, and YouTube Playlists
Question 4: How do I maintain a personal connection with my students?
- Explore online tools that build personal connections Understand how to personalize feedback using Screencastify and Read&Write
- Review how to add audio to Google Slides
Question 5: How do I hold my students accountable?
- Understand how to use Rubrics for evaluation
- Explore the online tool EdPuzzle and Google Forms for accountability
Meet the Expert:
Start immediately and work at your own pace.
Interested in bulk enrollment for your school, district, or organization?
- Join through a site with which you already have an account (Facebook, LinkedIn, Google). This is also referred to as a "single sign-on," or SSO.
- Join by creating an account. Enter the required information and create a password. Then, click “Enroll in friEdOnline” and you're in!
If you used the SSO option (Google button and Google sign-in) to create your friEdOnline account, your login information is not stored in friEdOnline and you will NOT be able to use the “Forgot your password?” function. You will need to try logging in with the Google button.
If you have tried both options, you can email us at [email protected].
Note: if you're changing your email due to the email account being inactive, you can still use the email to log in. However, you'll need to provide an updated email address in order to receive important course links and completion certificates.
2. Make sure you're on the correct course page and use the link in the provided directions. The provided link will automatically apply the promo code.
3. Make sure your total owed is $0.
- Restart your computer. (Simple, we know. But this little step can be an overlooked quick-fix!)
- Clear the cache and cookies in your Chrome browser.
- Turn off your extensions or pop-up blockers.
- If you're using your school-managed G Suite account, contact your district technology staff to ensure no content/ad/pop-up blockers have been installed by your district.
- Make sure Chrome is updated. If you're using another browser, check for updates.
- Try another browser.
- Check your internet connection and strengthen it if possible.
- Try a different device (remember, we suggest monitors over smartphones!).
If you get stuck, you can email us at [email protected]. We'll do our best to respond within 24 hours, Monday through Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST.
- on-demand (completed at your own pace...we love PD in PJs!)
- interactive (you’ll be completing engaging tasks as you move through the course)
- comprehensive (a full range of topic info and approaches are provided)
- asynchronous (not live) learning experiences that you complete when and where you want. You will receive 1-12 hours credit for completing the courses.
If you don't receive the email please check your junk mail. If you have double checked each step, and still don’t get your code, please email us at [email protected].