Feedback for All: Beyond the Red Pen
If you are exhausted from grading papers for hours and feel like your students aren't benefiting from your feedback, it's time to change your approach and create an impactful culture of feedback. This course will teach you how to establish a supportive learning environment that encourages students to embrace mistakes as opportunities for growth. In addition, you'll learn how to offer "feedforward" that students can utilize, saving you valuable time. With the right mindset and online tools, you'll see the positive impact your feedback has on student learning. Upon completion of this course, you'll earn six credit hours and take a significant step toward transforming your students' educational experience. Let's embark on this journey of revolutionizing your approach to providing effective and meaningful feedback, for all.
100% Online & Flexible
Total Time: 6 Hours
Estimated time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Use formative assessments for growth and feedback.
- Set grading expectations with different types of rubrics.
- Shift from grading to feedback and growth.
- Explore several grading tips and tricks.
[PART 2] Hungry for Feedback
Estimated time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Foster a growth mindset and setting the stage for feedback.
- Understand the 4 types of feedback.
- Understand the qualities of effective and impactful feedback.
- Learn how to transform feedback into feedforward.
[PART 3] The Feedforward Toolbox
Estimated time: 2 Hours
- Explore various feedforward prompts.
- Use Google and Microsoft for commenting and providing feedback.
- Discover when to use reviewing and suggesting mode in Google Docs and Microsoft Word.
- Practice voice typing in Google Docs and Microsoft Word.
- Explore various tools for spoken feedforward.
- Understand the benefits of using screencasts for feedforward.
- Explore Artificial Intelligence for student feedforward.Create Self-Grading Quizzes with Google Forms and Microsoft Forms.
[PART 4] Passing the Pen to Your Students
Estimated time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Learn how to get your students providing feedforward to one another.
- Understand what makes effective discussion boards.
- Discover strategies for cultivating active listeners.
- Determine which grouping strategy works best for your students.
- Create group contracts and norms for holding students accountable in groups.
- Embrace internal feedback by asking students for feedback.
Meet the Expert:
Meet the Designer:
Start immediately and work at your own pace.
Interested in bulk enrollment for your school, district, or organization?
- Join through a site with which you already have an account (Facebook, LinkedIn, Google). This is also referred to as a "single sign-on," or SSO.
- Join by creating an account. Enter the required information and create a password. Then, click “Enroll in friEdOnline” and you're in!
If you used the SSO option (Google button and Google sign-in) to create your friEdOnline account, your login information is not stored in friEdOnline and you will NOT be able to use the “Forgot your password?” function. You will need to try logging in with the Google button.
If you have tried both options, you can email us at [email protected].
Note: if you're changing your email due to the email account being inactive, you can still use the email to log in. However, you'll need to provide an updated email address in order to receive important course links and completion certificates.
2. Make sure you're on the correct course page and use the link in the provided directions. The provided link will automatically apply the promo code.
3. Make sure your total owed is $0.
- Restart your computer. (Simple, we know. But this little step can be an overlooked quick-fix!)
- Clear the cache and cookies in your Chrome browser.
- Turn off your extensions or pop-up blockers.
- If you're using your school-managed G Suite account, contact your district technology staff to ensure no content/ad/pop-up blockers have been installed by your district.
- Make sure Chrome is updated. If you're using another browser, check for updates.
- Try another browser.
- Check your internet connection and strengthen it if possible.
- Try a different device (remember, we suggest monitors over smartphones!).
If you get stuck, you can email us at [email protected]. We'll do our best to respond within 24 hours, Monday through Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST.
- on-demand (completed at your own pace...we love PD in PJs!)
- interactive (you’ll be completing engaging tasks as you move through the course)
- comprehensive (a full range of topic info and approaches are provided)
- asynchronous (not live) learning experiences that you complete when and where you want. You will receive 1-12 hours credit for completing the courses.
If you don't receive the email please check your junk mail. If you have double checked each step, and still don’t get your code, please email us at [email protected].